Monday 15 June 2009

European Union without Internet Explorer... again...

So Microsoft decided to get rid off IE altogether from Windows 7 shipped within European Union... but guess what - EU is still not happy. What's even better - neither is Opera...

Yes, that's true, everyone wanted MS to add selection of browsers to their operating system. Of course they do! But that's not fight with monopoly - that's just taking advantage of it! Also, that would (or at least should) cause even more problems and arguments. Who is to make a selection of browsers to be added to Windows? Why some browsers would be included? Why some browsers would not be?

Move Microsoft made is not only considered "nasty", but also most likely something that would never go ahead with. Now, I wouldn't be so sure. I am trying to place myself in Microsoft position. It's less than four months until premiere of my brand new operating system, I spend millions of dollars and two years of development time on. I am in the middle of antimonopoly argument with one of the largest markets in the world. Why would I want now, so close to my big day, take on responsibility for 3rd party apps? And I would need to take responsibility on, because if one non-technical person buys a PC with Windows 7 preinstalled, and for some reason find let's say Opera crashing - he won't go "Oh, Opera is crashing, I better download [place your favourite browser here]". He'll go off and say: "This PC I bough is c**p. It's running Windows".

I don't want to sound like Microsoft fan, I am just trying to say, that if I was running Microsoft, I would do exactly the same thing.

I am also true believer in fairness. If Microsoft would be forced to remove its browser, or offer choice of alternatives, so should be Linux, MacOS and all other operating systems out there... And with trend in browsers market share looking like THIS, it's really hard to talk about need for such actions...

No comments:

Post a Comment