Sunday 19 July 2009

Snow Leopard less and less fancy...


I found it very intriguing, that while Windows 7 with it's release scheduled for late October just hit RTM (or did it? :> ) at the same time, when Apple is still straggling with yet another Snow Leopard builds, after promise that it's going to be completed a month before Microsoft...

And to be very honest, I am still not sure weather Snow Leopard will be able to compete with Windows 7... I never realized, that majority of most useful "new" features, like Mail support for Exchange, CalDAV etc. are already available in MacOS 10.5... I also noticed, that in the latest build of Snow Leopard, 10A411, QuickTime playing HD movie is using much more (about 40% (!!!), up from about 6%) CPU... boooooo!

I decided to switch back to 10.5.8 for now. The day Snow Leopard appears in store, I'll be first one there. But I won't hesitate to visit shop next door a month later, when Windows 7 hits the shelves either.... And to be very honest, watching the way both OS's are going at the moment, more and more often I am considering choice of PC for my next laptop... (no, not $400 model :) time will tell!

Somewhere, deep deep in my heart, but far away from my head, there's hope that Apple will pull out a big surprise from their sleeve (or should I say Steve? ;) which will be sooo big, that we all forget about new Windows :D

In the meantime I visited local PC World store (there's no dedicated Apple stores in Ireland :( ) and here's what I found. Must be the only MacBook Pro 13" with GeForce 9600 in the world :) and that's for just €0.99 more than the 9400 model from Apple themselves :)

2 comments:

  1. >there's no dedicated Apple stores in Ireland...

    quite wrong, amigo. there's actually a fabulous new Apple Store in downtown Belfast in Victoria Square shopping mall. you should get out more! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By "Ireland" I meant Republic of Ireland... Belfast is a part of UK :)

    ReplyDelete